Thursday, March 29, 2012

Watch out the grass is sleeping

 You'd never guess it, but this man here is the rabid gardian (watchman) of the Place des Vosges.  Let me tell you why. There is a funny rule here that the grass that grows in the park needs to rest. Yes,  rest.  The Place des Vosges has different patches of grassy areas where theoretically people could spread a blanket and soak up the sun. Every so often though, they'll close off one patch so that the grass could rest and grow. Most people are really good at following this rule. And when they get stubborn, the gardian is there to make sure they leave the grass alone! I didn't really believe this till I saw him in action.

A few minutes before taking this picture below, tons of people were literally sprawled on this patch. But, the gardian arrived and chased everybody off with his whistle. Pretty impressive feat huh? Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to take a picture of him in action and in hindsight, maybe its better I didn't, because I don't want to get kicked off the park!

Luckily for us, there were other patches of grass where we could sit or lie down.  And on such a beautiful day, it would be criminal not to linger and enjoy as much as we can.

There were even two ducks enjoying the cool waters of this fountain. Isn't that sweet?



Here they are enjoying some sun on their backs.

Rabid gardian aside, I love this place. Its probably one of the prettiest squares, I've seen in the city.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh, you are so right, it is really one of the prettiest squares, and not only in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love Paris! I'm dreaming of it now!

    Just found your blog and it is so cute and inspirational. I found it through your comment on Cup of Jo. If you love LA, you might like Via Los Angeles. It's "Your Little Black Book to the City of Angels."

    http://www.vialosangeles.com

    I'll be checking back here!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have witnessed a similar scene in Munich, a few years ago, but it does make sense, doesn't it, grass does need to rest. So if they go nicely about it, it;s ok with me. Ah, lying around Eiffel tower this time last year! I want to visit again!

    ReplyDelete